Is your air conditioner making thumping, whining or grinding sounds? When air conditioners function properly, folks usually don’t think about them at all, taking for granted that the units are doing the job of maintaining a comfortable indoor environment. If you know the normal sounds that an air conditioner makes, it will be easier to identify new or unusual sounds that may be cause for concern.
What Do AC Noises Mean?
Air conditioners have mechanical parts that make sounds as the unit operates and an air circulation system that draws air over coils and through ductwork. The compressor makes a sustained mechanical hum, the sound of a well-functioning motor working properly. In a central HVAC system, you may hear the sound of moving air flowing through vents and passing through return air ducts. These are normal sounds that are not cause for alarm.
As air conditioners age, moving parts like fans and belts loosen. Thumping sounds often signify a loose or worn belt. A dirty filter impedes air flow and may cause the unit to whine as it cycles on or off, a reminder that your unit may need a tune-up. Regular maintenance is the best way to minimize the occurrence of costly air conditioner repairs. Tune-ups inspect all elements of an HVAC system including:
- Inspection and lubrication of all moving parts
- Inspection and replacement of belts and hoses as needed
- Cleaning or replacing the filter as needed
- Ensuring that the unit cycles on and off properly
- Inspection of wiring and connections
- Leveling and cleaning the thermostat
- Checking refrigerant levels
Air Conditioning by Luquire
We have been serving the multi-county area around Montgomery, Alabama, for more than thirty years. Our HVAC contractor services extend to not only larger cities like Prattville but small communities like Pike Road AL. If you need air conditioner repair, we offer 24-hour emergency service with no overtime charges. All repairs are guaranteed for one year. Our services include:
- Repair of all makes and models of heating and air conditioning equipment
- Free estimates
- Financing with approved credit for new installations
- Discounts and specials on repair, maintenance and new installations throughout the year
- Licensed, insured and bonded
- Indoor air solutions for poor air quality and humidity control
- NATE certified technicians
- Preventive maintenance and service agreements
As a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer, we must meet stringent requirements for both customer satisfaction and technological know-how to maintain this prestigious designation. Feel free to give us a call to talk with one of our technicians about how we can help you make sure that your air conditioner is functioning properly and efficiently.