As utility rates continue to rise in communities such as Eclectic, AL, many homeowners are trying to find new ways to lower their home’s energy usage. One idea you may have considered is to turn off the AC at night when the temperature is cooler. Our heating and air conditioning service team at AC By Luquire explains whether this will save you money on your electricity costs.
How Air Conditioners Keep Your House Cool
Air conditioners use a chemical coolant to absorb heat from inside of your home, pass it through a series of coils, and dissipate that heat to the outdoor environment through another series of coils. At the same time, moisture is condensed out of your home’s air and drained through the condensate line. These two processes work together to keep your indoor environment cool and comfortable, even when the outdoor weather is hot and humid. Most air conditioners can achieve a temperature differential of about 17 to 20 degrees when working at their peak level of performance. This means that if the outdoor temperature is 95 degrees Fahrenheit, the air conditioning system should be able to cool your home down to about 78 degrees.
Does Turning Off the AC At Night Work?
Turning off your AC at night might or might not save you a few dollars on your electricity bills. Whether or not you realize any savings depends on a few factors:
- The outdoor nighttime temperature. If the nighttime air that comes into your home cools the indoor temperature to lower than you usually set the thermostat for the air conditioner, turning off the AC should save you some money.
- The outdoor nighttime humidity. If the nighttime air is very humid and the humidity comes inside, then when you do turn on your AC, it will have to work hard to catch up on eliminating the excess moisture from the indoor air.
- Whether or not you use other means of cooling your home, such as exhaust fans, ceiling fans, or attic fans.
Energy Efficient Ways to Keep Your Home Cool
You can still keep your home cool at night while reducing the amount of electricity used by the AC system. Some strategies you can use include:
- Keeping the fan only function of the AC on overnight.
- Raising the thermostat overnight. If you keep the thermostat at 78F during the day, raise it to 83F overnight.
- Use ceiling fans in your bedrooms.
Our service technicians at AC By Luquire offer air conditioner maintenance and installation of Energy Star rated units that will also help lower your utility costs. For more information about our current specials or to schedule a service visit, call us any time.