Close this search box.

HVAC Jargon – Here are the Basics

The HVAC industry is filled with industry-specific words that often appear foreign to the everyday consumer. Knowing the HVAC jargon will help you better understand efficiency ratings and other important information. Armed with this knowledge you can better select the best equipment for your individual needs. All around, you’ll be a more savvy consumer.

Common HVAC Jargon

Here’s a list of some of the common acronyms and terms used in the industry:

  • British Thermal Units (BTUs): BTUs measure the amount of heat required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit. The higher the BTU, the larger the heating capacity of an air conditioner or furnace. Often, heating and cooling contractors will do a heat and cool load calculation to determine how many BTUs are required to adequately heat and cool a home.
  • Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating (SEER): SEER is the energy efficiency measurement for air conditioning systems. It measures the cooling over an entire season. Specifically, SEER measures the amount of BTUs the system produces in relationship to the amount of electricity it uses. A higher SEER means that the unit uses less electricity or fuel.
  • Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE): AFUE measure the amount of energy that is actually turned into warmth. For example, a boiler with an AFUE of 90 percent loses 10 percent of the original input energy. The remaining 90 percent is actually used as energy for the home.
  • Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF): HSPF is similar to the SEER rating, but it measure a heat pump’s heating efficiency. A high HSPF rating is anything above eight and often qualifies for federal tax credits.
  • Single Package Unit: Single package is the outdoor unit that contains both a cooling and heating system.
  • Split System: Split systems are heat pumps or air conditioners that are combined with indoor components, such as condenser coil outside and evaporator coil inside.
  • Evaporator Coil: The evaporator coil is part of the cooling or heating system that dehumidifies and cools the air by converting liquid refrigerant into gas.
  • Heat Pumps: Heats pumps are units that can provide both cooling and heating for the indoor space.

Products and Services at AC by Luquire

Since 1983, Luquire has been serving both commercial customers and residential customers in Elmore, AL and surrounding cities. Over the years, we have cultivated a firm reputation for superior workmanship, competitive prices and excellent customer service. If you’re ready to upgrade your existing HVAC system, you’ll find that we offer top brand products for furnaces, heat pumps, hybrid systems, boilers, packaged units and much more. All of our heating and cooling systems are energy efficient, and our installations are 100 percent guaranteed. If you’re in need of a system repair, our top-notch technicians are up to the task. Just like our installations, all of our system repairs come guaranteed. We’re are also committed to helping our customers stay within their budget and offer Internet coupons for new units and repairs. Be sure to visit our site for the latest offerings.

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links