Air conditioners provide a welcome indoor respite from the outdoor hot weather and humid air during the summer months. In order to make sure that the air conditioner is running as effectively and efficiently as possible, preventative maintenance is the key. While an air conditioner tune-up performed by our experts at Air Conditioning by Luquire cannot prevent every possible problem, it can guard against most potential issues and save thousands of dollars in the long run.
How the Summer Weather Affects Air Conditioning Systems
When the outdoor temperature rises into the 90s and higher, it forces the air conditioning system to work hard in order to achieve indoor comfort. Most air conditioners are able to achieve a temperature differential of 18 degrees Farhenheit. This means that if the outdoor temperature is 100F, a setting of 82F on the thermostat is about as much as the air conditioner can cool the home. When the humidity rises, the air conditioner must work even harder to condense the moisture out of the air during each cycle. All this can mean more cycling and wear and tear on the system.
What You Can Do to Get Your Air Conditioner Ready for Summer
As a homeowner, there are some tasks that you can do to get your cooling system ready for the hot and humid summertime weather. Start with these projects:
- Cut back any grass, flowers or shrubs that have grown within three feet of the outdoor compressor unit. A clear area allows for better dissipation of heat.
- Check the air filter each month and replace it when it’s dirty. A dirty air filter forces the system to work harder to control the indoor climate.
- Use a garden hose with a sprayer and hose off the outdoor condenser unit on a weekly basis. This helps rid the unit of dirt that can block hot air dissipation from the fins.
The Benefits of an Air Conditioner Tune-up
While it is possible to do a few air conditioner maintenance tasks yourself, most preventative maintenance is best left to experienced professionals who are trained to spot and diagnose problems before they impact indoor comfort. The benefits of an air conditioner tune-up each summer include:
- Increased energy efficiency. The system may run 5 to 30 percent more efficiently after preventative maintenance.
- Cleaner indoor air.
- Early recognition of system problems before a complete breakdown.
- Lower repair costs.
To avoid a malfunctioning air conditioner on the hottest day of the summer, now is the time to have it serviced. By having the system inspected and maintained, many problems and expenses can be avoided. For guidance on air conditioner maintenance in your Prattville AL home or to schedule service, call our friendly team at AC by Luquire at any time.